About Our Town
Garrett Park is a small town located in a sylvan setting next to Rock Creek Park in southern Montgomery County, Maryland. Garrett Parkers have easy access to Washington DC by way of the MARC commuter train station located in town and Grosvenor-Strathmore Red Line Metro station about 1 mile away.
Garrett Park was incorporated in 1898 and has an active town government and resident-directed organizations. The town is laid out as an English village with winding, tree-lined streets and a variety of housing types. Garrett Park is on the National Register of Historic Places and as an Arboretum (established in 1977), has a Arboretum Committee to manage the health and variety of trees. The town has been vocal. In 1962, by referendum Garrett Park became the first Nuclear Free Zone in the United States.
Penn Place serves as the town square, where residents cross paths picking up mail (Garrett Park does not have home delivery) or stopping by the Town Office. Penn Place also houses the Black Market Bistro restaurant and Art at Penn Place, a gallery with rotating exhibitions. On Saturdays, the Penn Place parking lot hosts a farmers market.
Garrett Park is in the Walter Johnson High School cluster. Garrett Park Elementary School is situated in town. The Walter Johnson cluster is part of the acclaimed, supportive, and diverse Montgomery County Public School System.
Garrett Park has a community pool, several small parks, sports fields, and playgrounds and is walking distance to Strathmore Hall Concert campus. The Citizens Association as well as other town organizations sponsor a 4th of July parade, films, musical events, architectural and arboretum tours, and much more.